Fada Ni Khichadi/Daliya Khichadi/Broken wheat porridge
Khichadi is a comfort meal. We all know it as a comfort meal.
Khichadi is known to be made in different ways in different parts of the country.
Broken wheat has been a favorite meal, when mom would cook it with a warm peas curry and serve, on a winter evening. This khichadi is an extension of the same.
Fada in Gujarati comes from the word broken, here we are using broken wheat ( a.k.a daliya). This recipe can be easily adapted with broken millets and other grains.
Fada ni khichadi is a complete meal, with grains, pulses, and vegetables and served with curd, salad, or the sweet mango pickle (chunda) , which makes a great meal.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Passive Time||30 Minutes|
- 1/4 Cup broken wheat Daliya
- 1/4 Cup yellow split moong dal Dhuli moong
- 1/4 Cup broken rice
- 1 Cup mixed vegetables carrot, benas, peas, potato, cauliflower
- 1 small Onion sliced
- 1 small Tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chili chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin jeera
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 Tsp Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander to garnish(optional)
- 1+1 Tbsp Ghee( clarified butter) for cooking and garnish
- In a bowl wash together the dal, rice and daliya and soak for 30 minutes
- Take a pressure cooker and add 1 tbsp ghee
- Add cumin , and allow to splutter. Then add ginger garlic and chilies and roast them till fragrant.
- Now add onion slices and allow them to get translucent.
- Add tomatoes , and chopped vegetables .
- Add all the powdered spices, turmeric, coriander, chili powder and allow to cook till the liquid from tomatoes is a bit soaked up.
- Now add the soaked and drained grain mix and garam masala. Add salt to taste.
- Add 2 and 1/2 cups of water ( about little more than three times the grain mix) and allow to cook for 8-10 min on medium .(2-3 whistles )
- Now serve hot after the pressure releases itself . Garnish with another spoon of ghee U can use coriander leaves for garnish.
- Serve with chunda (the sweet gujrati mango pickle ) to balance the heat.
- One can skip the rice and accordingly reduce the quantity of water
- Vegetables choice can vary
- Instead of broken wheat or in addition , one may use broken millets (to be soaked separately and for longer )
- Use of ghee is completely on to Ur discretion.
Another simple recipe which u can book mark is that of Achari Khichadi.
These recipes are interesting adaptation of a whole some meal.